Go Back   N-Scale > Digital Command Control ,Electronics and Wiring > Electronics and Wiring
Register FAQ Members List Members World Map Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read vBExperience

Electronics and Wiring discussions and questions about electronics and wiring

» Site Navigation
Home page
Featured Layouts
Personal Albums
Model Train Photos
Real Train Photos
Christmas Photo Contest
Big Chat
Hints & Tips
Featured Links
Web Links
User CP
» Awarded Member

Monthly Contest Winner
Title: NSO Engineer
» Featured Layout
» Featured P.A.

photo by : Slamdunk

views: 81
» Top Photo Rating

category: Figures and Scenes
photo by : NTHEHOUSE

» Last Classifieds Ad

by james-trainmaster

» Most Downloaded and Viewed Links
N Scale Supply
Custom N Scale Coffee Table Layouts
jpg Track 1
Fifer Hobby Supply LLC
4 N scale
zip Trainz
zip Screensaver Nscale
zip Railroad Tycoon 3
Welcome to the N-Scale.
Welcome to Nscale.org Community!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to our forum and pics features. By joining our free community, you will be able to participate in the discussions, search the forum, send private messages, vote in polls, upload your own pictures and movies to the galleries or your personal album, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so sign up today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
NSO Engineer
Points: 42,325, Level: 50 Points: 42,325, Level: 50 Points: 42,325, Level: 50
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/0 sssss6881

United Kingdom

Rep Power: 37 dckuk is controlling the third NSO traindckuk is controlling the third NSO traindckuk is controlling the third NSO traindckuk is controlling the third NSO traindckuk is controlling the third NSO traindckuk is controlling the third NSO traindckuk is controlling the third NSO traindckuk is controlling the third NSO traindckuk is controlling the third NSO traindckuk is controlling the third NSO traindckuk is controlling the third NSO train
Awards Showcase
NSO AWARDS 2008 Nominees Helpfull Member 
Total Awards: 2
Turnout and Route Automation

As I posted in a few places I have been using servo motors to control the turnouts on my layouts as an alternative to Circuitron Tortoise motors to save space.

While attending the International N Gauge show this year (and meeting up with Andy (a.k.a. Texhorse)) I discovered a small vendor offering some some very interesting, practically plug and pay control boards for turnout control...

Dave that runs the operation with his wife (I never got her name) gave very clear helpful demonstrations of their product line, which can control up to 192 turnouts through linked boards, or 192 programmed routes using a panel processor.

Accessory boards can be chained to the system to power frogs through relays, or provide auxiliary controlled power based on the throw.

How far I will go with this option is not clear, but at £50 to control 12 turnouts, and an additional £60 if I want to add automated power routing (which I am also testing via a double or triple pole toggle switch to drive the turnouts). The system is modular, so I can easily "just" power the servos at present, and add the relay cards if I wish to add route control later, without having to do a major electrical engineering project.

At the current exchange rate it means I can save about $45 dollars on twelve installations, and just over the cost of the twelve single control boards I can add the relays and have a foundation for route control.

Where might this lead?

Single boards are great for the mainline away from the control panel on the larger layout. The MegaPoints system lends itself to the more congested yard areas and smaller layout. I'll have to doodle with routing to determine how far I might want it to go, but certainly lends itself to freight and passenger yard operation, to pick from up to 192 routes through a statin and freight yard for example.

I plan to do some testing with the servos I already have mounted to see if the operations are the same, and will post a summary of the findings after.

Follow the Lofty Ambitions blog: http://loftlayout.blogspot.com/

Follow the Terminal Railway blog: http://iptrr.blogspot.com/

Mounting Servo Turnout Motors on Foam: http://nservos.blogspot.co.uk/

N Scale Strucutures blog: http://n-scale-buildings.blogspot.co.uk/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dckuk

Last edited by dckuk : 09-30-2016 at 03:02 AM. Reason: English challenges me some days too!
dckuk is offline   Reply With Quote