Go Back   N-Scale > N-SCALE Forum > Scenery
Register FAQ Members List Members World Map Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read vBExperience

» Site Navigation
Home page
Forum
Featured Layouts
Personal Albums
Model Train Photos
Real Train Photos
Movies
Christmas Photo Contest
Download
Big Chat
Classifieds
DCC
Hints & Tips
Shop
Featured Links
Web Links
F.A.Q.
User CP
» Awarded Member
Member:
goodstuff3

Monthly Contest Winner
Title: NSO Engineer
» Featured Layout
» Featured P.A.

photo by : Slamdunk
Rating

views: 81
» Top Photo Rating

category: Figures and Scenes
photo by : SHIELDS

» Last Classifieds Ad

by james-trainmaster

» Most Downloaded and Viewed Links
N Scale Supply
Custom N Scale Coffee Table Layouts
jpg Track 1
Fifer Hobby Supply LLC
4 N scale
zip Trainz
zip Screensaver Nscale
Ngineering
zip Railroad Tycoon 3
ashlintrains.com
Welcome to the N-Scale.
Welcome to Nscale.org Community!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to our forum and pics features. By joining our free community, you will be able to participate in the discussions, search the forum, send private messages, vote in polls, upload your own pictures and movies to the galleries or your personal album, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so sign up today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
COandW
First Line Managers
Points: 44,903, Level: 51 Points: 44,903, Level: 51 Points: 44,903, Level: 51
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/0 sssss2966

United States

Rep Power: 25 COandW is controlling the second NSO trainCOandW is controlling the second NSO trainCOandW is controlling the second NSO trainCOandW is controlling the second NSO trainCOandW is controlling the second NSO trainCOandW is controlling the second NSO trainCOandW is controlling the second NSO trainCOandW is controlling the second NSO trainCOandW is controlling the second NSO train
Awards Showcase
Monthly  Contest  Second Place Monthly  Contest  Second Place Monthly  Contest Winner Rail Track Laying 
Total Awards: 4
Diorama in a week

Diorama in a Week

Saturday (March 6th) is/was the Pacific Model loggers conference on the Oregon Coast. I had planned on exhibiting a train made up of several of RSLasers wood old time freight cars behind a Atheran 2-8-0 I modified for wood burning… I had planned on a simple strip of track on some foam….. weeeellllll things kind of got out of hand and the Sunday afternoon before the show I decided to build a small sceniced diorama based on eastern Oregon high desert.

There have been a couple of questions about how to do scenery lately so I figured I would kill two birds with one stone and do a short tutorial on scenery…

Sunday Afternoon.
I built a base out of extruded foam, gluing it together with “Liquid Nails For Projects.” Later in the evening I formed rock structures out of crumpled news paper glued down with a hot glue gun. I then covered the newspapers with paper towels soaked in thin plaster.

Monday Night.
I covered most of the foam and paper towels with latex molds filled with stiff plaster. The bare areas of foam were smeared with plaster. When It dried I sealed the plaster with a coat of earth color paint thinned 50% with water. HINT plaster wont stick to foam very well.. I roughed up the surface with a toothed saw blade.

Tuesday Night
I squinted the rock with a very thin Black Wash. This brought out the details.. When that was dry I decided which areas would be covered in soil and painted them with a mixture of earth color paint, white glue and water… then dumped soil over the whole diorama with the paint still wet… This sounds insane but it works.. The “Soil” I use is actually volcanic ash from central Oregon.. it is ground pumice. Dumping soil on the rocks and everything blends the rock and soil area…. I am modeling desert and the “pumice sand” looks great. In a wetter climate I would used very fine dry soil like off of a dirt road in summer. Word of warning : The ground pumice contains microscopic bits of silica. It will screw up your lungs… wear a mask… It will also get into mechanical parts if not sealed with a good coat of adhesive. (see below).

Wednesday Night
I turned over the diorama and dumped off the loose material.. Then added pumice sand at the base of the rock to form talus slopes. The loose mater is then wetted with “wet water” (water with a few drops of liquid soap in it) with a sprayer, Then I flow a 50% mixture of water and Matte Mod Podge over every thing loose. This stuff dries clear and dull.

Thursday Night
I made trees and brush. The trees are dried weeds shot with spray adhesive and dipped in ground foam. When dry they are shot with hair spray. The sage brush is chopped up natural color lichen painted gray. The tops are dipped in white glue and then dipped in ground foam.

Friday Night..
I glued down the track, sealed anything that looked loose and added trees and brush,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DioR_1.jpg (190.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DioR_2.jpg (187.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DioR_3.jpg (188.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DioR_4.jpg (189.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DioR_5.jpg (186.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DioR_6.jpg (187.6 KB, 110 views)
COandW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to COandW For This Useful Post:
ado.c (03-06-2010), BobBNSF (03-06-2010), caliber_410 (03-06-2010), Cox 1947 (03-06-2010), dustin_orth (03-06-2010), Gary60s (03-06-2010), goodstuff3 (03-07-2010), Hirailtruck (03-06-2010), nachippy (03-06-2010), Packers#1 (03-06-2010), Railroad Bill (03-06-2010)