WE all have our Favorite Roads some more modeled than others. This week Feb.06, 2005 - Feb 13, 2005 is dedicated the History of the Norfolk Southern
so take a look at the links I have provided and add some info and pictures of your own personal N scale collection or proto-type.
Norfolk Southern's predecessor railroads date back to the early portion of the 19th century. The South Carolina Canal & Railroad Company, the earliest predecessor line, was chartered in December 1827 and ran the nation's first regularly scheduled passenger train on Christmas Day 1830. The Richmond and Danville Railroad formed in 1847 became a major portion of the Southern Railway System in 1894.
NS was created in 1982 from the merger of the Norfolk & Western Railway and the Southern Railway Company. An earlier company, also named Norfolk Southern, serving primarily North Carolina and the southeastern tip of Virginia, had merged with Southern Railway in 1974. The older company was the namesake for the 1982 combination. Headquarters for the newly established Norfolk Southern were established in Norfolk, Virginia.
The 1982 combination of the profitable Norfolk & Western and Southern Railways was done to compete in the eastern United States with the Chessie System-Seaboard Coast Line merger which had been approved by the Interstate Commerce Commission in 1980, resulting in formation of CSX Transportation.
On June 23, 1997, Norfolk Southern and CSX Transportation filed a joint application with the Surface Transportation Board (STB) for authority to purchase, divide and operate the assets of the 11,000-mile Consolidated Rail Corporation, created in 1976 by bringing together several ailing northeastern railway systems into a government-owned corporation. On June 6, 1998, the STB approved the Norfolk Southern-CSX application and set Aug. 22, 1998, as the effective date of its decision. Norfolk Southern acquired 58% of Conrail’s assets (CSX got the remaining 42%). As a result of the transaction, Norfolk Southern's rail operations grew to include some 7,200 miles of the Conrail system (predominantly the former PRR). Norfolk Southern began operating its trains on its portion of the Conrail network on June 1, 1999.