Go Back   N-Scale > Pictures Hosting > Pictures hosting for Nscale members
Register FAQ Members List Members World Map Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read vBExperience

Pictures hosting for Nscale members We could upload pictures here, that are in some ways related to us, like empire builder games or railraod games and have a url to use. I think we deserve a hosting for the needs in our community, so i added this category to help our members with uploading in other websites, use it wisely.

» Site Navigation
Home page
Forum
Featured Layouts
Personal Albums
Model Train Photos
Real Train Photos
Movies
Christmas Photo Contest
Download
Big Chat
Classifieds
DCC
Hints & Tips
Shop
Featured Links
Web Links
F.A.Q.
User CP
» Awarded Member
Member:
goodstuff3

Monthly Contest Winner
Title: NSO Engineer
» Featured Layout
» Featured P.A.

photo by : Slamdunk
Rating

views: 81
» Top Photo Rating

category: Locomotives, Engines
photo by : Bigcol65

» Last Classifieds Ad

by james-trainmaster

» Most Downloaded and Viewed Links
N Scale Supply
Custom N Scale Coffee Table Layouts
jpg Track 1
Fifer Hobby Supply LLC
4 N scale
zip Trainz
zip Screensaver Nscale
Ngineering
zip Railroad Tycoon 3
ashlintrains.com
Welcome to the N-Scale.
Welcome to Nscale.org Community!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to our forum and pics features. By joining our free community, you will be able to participate in the discussions, search the forum, send private messages, vote in polls, upload your own pictures and movies to the galleries or your personal album, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so sign up today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
jhn_plsn
Professional Engineer
Points: 34,338, Level: 45 Points: 34,338, Level: 45 Points: 34,338, Level: 45
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/0 sssss3081

United States

Rep Power: 31 jhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO train
Awards Showcase
Tamper operator 
Total Awards: 1
Using someone elses photos.

Hey guys, I just want to air something.
I am going rounds on a proto photo site concerning using the posted photos to support a topic in a thread.
I do not have an issue with anyone who would like to use any photo I insert into any gallery to support a topic/thread, but if there is to be any commercial use I would expect the courtesy to notify me.
I asked a question concerning linking photos to a proto site and was blasted by a few folks about using any photos without permission. Well sorry to say but if you post on line you give permission in my book, unless the photo is used commercially. I could not believe that the members actually thought I would steal their photos for my own benefit. Some may, I won't. Of coarse they don't know me well enough one way or the other.
So my response was really quite simple. Do you like this site(the proto photo site)? If so when you post your photos is it for the sake of a select(click) few or is it to improve the content of the site therefore attracting more members and contributors. Then I still was debated by a few more then I asked how much are you willing to pay the owner of the site to keep it operational, but I first went on to remind them to take into account that the owner is asking for $$ to expand the storage so we can start adding more photos rather than replacing them. ( sounds a little familiar? )
In the end the rebuttals stopped and everyone quieted down, but I don't think I will contribute much( not that I did before) and I will certainly not send $$$.
This does make me appreciate what we have that much more here on Nscale.org.
Thanks for listening.
jhn_plsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
SebastianLee
Experienced Engineer
Points: 4,858, Level: 16 Points: 4,858, Level: 16 Points: 4,858, Level: 16

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/0 ssssss584

United States

Rep Power: 14 SebastianLee is looking for electrified trackSebastianLee is looking for electrified trackSebastianLee is looking for electrified track
Linking ie htttp://thegreatestphotosever.wz is fine. If it has a web address and you point to it there is no issue.

Inserting pictures directly in that aren't yours is a no no. Basically it is stealing someone else's creative work and more importantly bandwidth (to whoever is hosting the image). I had a personal gallery on a web host once that got slashdotted and images got hotlinked all over the place. Even though the site got pulled in under an hour that month's bill was a jaw dropper.
SebastianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
jhn_plsn
Professional Engineer

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/0 sssss3081

United States

Rep Power: 31 jhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO trainjhn_plsn is controlling the second NSO train
Awards Showcase
Tamper operator 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianLee View Post
Linking ie htttp://thegreatestphotosever.wz is fine. If it has a web address and you point to it there is no issue.

Inserting pictures directly in that aren't yours is a no no. Basically it is stealing someone else's creative work and more importantly bandwidth (to whoever is hosting the image). I had a personal gallery on a web host once that got slashdotted and images got hotlinked all over the place. Even though the site got pulled in under an hour that month's bill was a jaw dropper.
You hosted your own site?
Old 05-20-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
SebastianLee
Experienced Engineer
Points: 4,858, Level: 16 Points: 4,858, Level: 16 Points: 4,858, Level: 16

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/0 ssssss584

United States

Rep Power: 14 SebastianLee is looking for electrified trackSebastianLee is looking for electrified trackSebastianLee is looking for electrified track
Yeah way back when there was little regulation I hosted everything (website, email and galleries) at home. Got to be a little too slow so moved to hosting company. I still own a few domains, most go to the big blank 404 now
SebastianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #5
jhn_plsn
Professional Engineer

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/0 sssss3081

United States

Awards Showcase
Tamper operator 
I guess my point is that if I post here on Nscale.org I expect people to be able to use anything I post to support a topic. I take it as a compliment whan someone uses my stuff even thought its been rare. Also In some sites upon upload you can make it a private or public album so maybe thats the key for some to.
I just don't get it mostly as to why if one holds thier work so dear to put it out there in syberspace and put it at risk.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
The Mad Englishman
Skilled Engineer
Points: 7,914, Level: 21 Points: 7,914, Level: 21 Points: 7,914, Level: 21

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/0 sssss1228

United Kingdom

Rep Power: 17 The Mad Englishman has found the electrified trackThe Mad Englishman has found the electrified trackThe Mad Englishman has found the electrified trackThe Mad Englishman has found the electrified track
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianLee View Post
... most go to the big blank 404 now
My favourite website!

I only post photo's on here that I've taken. Can't go wrong then!

You dont have to be mad to be a modeller
but I find it helps!
The Mad Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
umtrr-author
Professional Engineer
Points: 25,655, Level: 39 Points: 25,655, Level: 39 Points: 25,655, Level: 39

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/0 sssss4116
Rep Power: 34 umtrr-author is controlling the third NSO trainumtrr-author is controlling the third NSO trainumtrr-author is controlling the third NSO trainumtrr-author is controlling the third NSO trainumtrr-author is controlling the third NSO trainumtrr-author is controlling the third NSO trainumtrr-author is controlling the third NSO trainumtrr-author is controlling the third NSO trainumtrr-author is controlling the third NSO trainumtrr-author is controlling the third NSO trainumtrr-author is controlling the third NSO train
Awards Showcase
Monthly  Contest Winner 
It depends...

Most websites I visit have verbiage in terms of use of content for non-commercial purposes, e.g. to further one's modeling efforts. At least one that I know of goes so far as to explicitly include permission to make MS Train Simulator "rolling stock" from the images on the sites.

Some folks are more restrictive than others in terms of granting permissions to what is essentially their intellectual property, or that of the people who provide images.

As has been noted above, It's not just an issue of permission, it's an issue of bandwidth to embed images directly into a post. Walthers' website has (or at least had) a "catcher" of some sort that detects when an image is directly linked from outside their domain and instead displays a banner "To see this image visit the Walthers website." But that still costs them a bit of bandwidth.

Even direct links (not embeds) are frowned upon by some sites-- there are some that explicitly ask that you do not link directly to an image, but instead refer to user to the top level domain only. I respect that and for that reason I provide only top level links in the UMTRR for any website I reference, unless there isn't one to be had (believe it or not, that does happen-- you can view a child page but not the top level, which returns an "access forbidden" or other error).

The way I look it at, it's their site and their rules. I find the sites that I cite to be valuable resources. I'm willing to abide by their requests.

There have been cases in which some of these were taken down off the net due to reposting of images without permission or credit-- even taking images, printing them on photo paper and selling them on eBay for profit. I don't like it when I read a message "This has been removed due to abuse" where a website used to be, but I can't really argue the point.

I think that most model railroad and prototype sites are there as labors of love and genuine attempts to share knowledge. I certainly wouldn't try to make a living off it-- it's probably hard enough these days for manufacturers of equipment to do that. I think it is fair to respect their restrictions, but also vote with your feet if you think the rules are unrealistic.
umtrr-author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
maul_wws
First Line Managers
Points: 17,641, Level: 32 Points: 17,641, Level: 32 Points: 17,641, Level: 32

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/0 sssss2922

United States

Rep Power: 27 maul_wws is controlling the second NSO trainmaul_wws is controlling the second NSO trainmaul_wws is controlling the second NSO trainmaul_wws is controlling the second NSO trainmaul_wws is controlling the second NSO trainmaul_wws is controlling the second NSO trainmaul_wws is controlling the second NSO trainmaul_wws is controlling the second NSO trainmaul_wws is controlling the second NSO train
If I put something up online, I feel that it becomes fair game for anyone to have or use. It doesn't bother me at all, why someone would want one of my pictures is beyond me, but anyone can have'em.

(""Say Sumn bout my Trains!"")
maul_wws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
nolatron
Experienced Engineer
Points: 10,495, Level: 24 Points: 10,495, Level: 24 Points: 10,495, Level: 24

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/0 ssssss897

United States

Rep Power: 18 nolatron has found the electrified double tracksnolatron has found the electrified double tracksnolatron has found the electrified double tracksnolatron has found the electrified double tracksnolatron has found the electrified double tracksnolatron has found the electrified double tracks
Just because someone posts an image or video online doesn't mean it's automatically in the public domain (in legal terms) and you have free reign to use it for personal, non-commercial use. The image is still copyrighted and owned by the author, so any use without the author's permission (and a credit to the author at minimum) could be considered illegal and the author has every right to demand your to cease using it.

I personally use this copyright on my site:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/

Basically says you use my photos else as long as you credit the photo correctly to me.

I have also prevented hotlinking (directly linking to an image on my server) in the past to prevent bandwidth abuse on old sites I use to run.

Last edited by nolatron : 05-22-2009 at 06:47 AM.
nolatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
jhn_plsn
Professional Engineer

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/0 sssss3081

United States

Awards Showcase
Tamper operator 
Thanks guys for the responses and thorough explanations.

If I read you correctly I should simply copy the shortcut rather than the photo itself so the viewer will go into the site and see the correct ownership info.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
Bones
NSO Special Conductor
Points: 43,469, Level: 50 Points: 43,469, Level: 50 Points: 43,469, Level: 50

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/0 ssss10275

United States

Rep Power: 42 Bones is controlling the third NSO trainBones is controlling the third NSO trainBones is controlling the third NSO trainBones is controlling the third NSO trainBones is controlling the third NSO trainBones is controlling the third NSO trainBones is controlling the third NSO trainBones is controlling the third NSO trainBones is controlling the third NSO trainBones is controlling the third NSO trainBones is controlling the third NSO train
Awards Showcase
Railroad Conductor Best Member Participation Second Place 2008 Helpfull Member 
Total Awards: 3
Mountain > Mole hill.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:29 AM   #12
Will_annand
Skilled Engineer
Points: 16,317, Level: 30 Points: 16,317, Level: 30 Points: 16,317, Level: 30

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/0 sssss2045

Canada

Rep Power: 21 Will_annand has found the electrified trackWill_annand has found the electrified trackWill_annand has found the electrified trackWill_annand has found the electrified track
Awards Showcase
Railroad Conductor 
The problem is these days most people do not care about creativity or intellectual property.

Seems everyone is copying software, music, photos, art, TV shows and film and sharing them with everyone else.

Then when they get caught and are shown that what they did was illegal, they whine about it. Saying that things are too expensive that is why they do it.

Well, news flash for you...
Things are expensive because producers of CDs, DVDs and software know that for every one they sell, on an average of 20 are copied and stolen, sometimes many more. So they price accordingly.
Will_annand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
aboyette
Skilled Engineer
Points: 18,112, Level: 32 Points: 18,112, Level: 32 Points: 18,112, Level: 32

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/0 sssss1960

United States

Rep Power: 27 aboyette is controlling the second NSO trainaboyette is controlling the second NSO trainaboyette is controlling the second NSO trainaboyette is controlling the second NSO trainaboyette is controlling the second NSO trainaboyette is controlling the second NSO trainaboyette is controlling the second NSO trainaboyette is controlling the second NSO trainaboyette is controlling the second NSO train
Awards Showcase
Monthly  Contest  Second Place NSO AWARDS 2008 Nominees Monthly  Contest  Second Place Railroad Yardmaster 
Total Awards: 4
Hey, I think that photo of me hanging at the post office was used without my permission!