Go Back   N-Scale > Show Your Layout > Layout Central
Register FAQ Members List Members World Map Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read vBExperience

Layout Central ....this is the place to show your layouts/pikes, your layout construction, and all the fine works in progress we have going on.....don't be shy, modelers are at all stages of progress!

» Site Navigation
Home page
Forum
Featured Layouts
Personal Albums
Model Train Photos
Real Train Photos
Movies
Christmas Photo Contest
Download
Big Chat
Classifieds
DCC
Hints & Tips
Shop
Featured Links
Web Links
F.A.Q.
User CP
» Awarded Member
Member:
goodstuff3

Monthly Contest Winner
Title: NSO Engineer
» Featured Layout
» Featured P.A.

photo by : Slamdunk
Rating

views: 81
» Top Photo Rating

category: Depots, Bridges and other structures
photo by : caliber_410

» Last Classifieds Ad

by james-trainmaster

» Most Downloaded and Viewed Links
N Scale Supply
Custom N Scale Coffee Table Layouts
jpg Track 1
Fifer Hobby Supply LLC
4 N scale
zip Trainz
zip Screensaver Nscale
Ngineering
zip Railroad Tycoon 3
ashlintrains.com
Welcome to the N-Scale.
Welcome to Nscale.org Community!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to our forum and pics features. By joining our free community, you will be able to participate in the discussions, search the forum, send private messages, vote in polls, upload your own pictures and movies to the galleries or your personal album, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so sign up today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
arbomambo
Junior Engineer
Points: 1,848, Level: 9 Points: 1,848, Level: 9 Points: 1,848, Level: 9
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/0 ssssss182

United States

Rep Power: 11 arbomambo has found the double tracksarbomambo has found the double tracksarbomambo has found the double tracks
Layout for the "Santa Fe" room

Hello all...
I've decided to document my little layout on this forum, as I've been doing on other forums, simple because some of my postings don't have any context without it...
I've got a little spare time this evening, so I'm going to get up to speed as fast as possible...

This little layout was first intended as a small portable table meant as a temporary track to run and test engines and roliing stock as I acquired and detailed them...
it's grown, in concept, and in relative size since I started a few months ago...

I've spent a load of time (and money) re-doing my 3 bedroom house-really up-scaling the interior- and one of the upstairs bedrooms, originally intended to be another full scale guest room, has now become my office...
I'm decorating it in a 'New Mexico-Santa Fe' style...with rustic bookcases, desk, and decor.
The rest of the house is done in an Old World style-Tuscan-Spanish-Mediterranean', so having my office in a Santa Fe style fits right in...
I realized, in addition to some New Mexico style wall decor, i could also frame some of my vintage Santa Fe (ATSF Railroad) ads in the same decor and REALLY make it the "Santa Fe" room...
So...my layout idea morphed to an actual layout (that still had the capability of being moved), that would not only be more 'scale', but would also add to the room's decor, and not detract from it!
since I model Santa Fe in the mid-to-late 50's, I knew it would fir into the decor perfectly, especially since I love to railfan the ATSF-BNSF line across NM and AZ.

A HCD door would be the foundation, the layout would rest against one of the rooms' walls, but be able to be moved toward the center, so that, at least, three sides would be fully accessible...this would also allow the layout to be expanded at some point, with a staging yard and/or reverse loops, to allow more trains...the layout acting as a peninsula, with the additions forming wings on either side...

what I wanted:
double track
typical New Mexican scenery
simple track plan that would allow continuous running for testing engines and rolling stock
fine scale track (code 55)
ATSF-style double crossovers (to allow trains to trade loops)
15 " minimum radius ( the classic 'Super Chief' and 'El Capitan' would be feature performers on this layout

Most importantly...I did NOT want to fill the door with track...the typical spaghetti bowl...I wanted a 'snapshot' of a typical NM scene...warbonnets dominated by scenery...taking full advantage of N scale, where we can actually do this...
a simple double track loop, dominated by a large central mesa, with the exposed rock strata, a rock hound's dream...

a shot of a mesa on the hwy from Bernalillo to Farmington gives you an idea of what I'm 'gunning' for...

one of my favorite railfan spots is in McCartys, about halfway between the Laguna Pueblo and Grants...it sits on Acoma land...there's a flat rock just below the church in this picture, which overlooks the double track main...My friends and I have named this vantage point, what else, 'Church Rock'...

to the west, the ATSF crosses over I-40 (old route 66) to hug a mesa to the north....

I also wanted to recreate the flavor of another favorite train watching spot, the junction at Dalies, where the original line through Raton Pass, down to Albuquerque, meets up with the Belen cutoff, to continue west, across the rest of NM, AZ, and CA...

The used to be an iconic ATSF water tower here (sadly gone now)
I took this pic back in 1994...

putting in this type of scene would be simple with the trackplan I came up with...

...continued,
Bruce
arbomambo is offline   Reply With Quote