You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to our forum and pics features. By joining our free community, you will be able to participate in the discussions, search the forum, send private messages, vote in polls, upload your own pictures and movies to the galleries or your personal album, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so sign up today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.
Yes, another forest diorama it is... During last trip to Springfield, I bought a shay in N scale. You probably know this model, it is an Atlas one... So I wanted to build some case around it, so the diorama...
I had this project in mind for a long time. It is the right support for building trees, playing with water, etc... Everything that makes it a pure scenery project! Well, with a small track
Anyway, I started by building two modules, carving a bit of the terrain and designing a riverbed...
Here are the first results. I don't know if I will achieve this new project but I'm really motivated for now (I'm still waiting for some PCB and electronic pieces... So in the meantime, let's play with scenery...)
Tonight I decided to try to lay the tracks by hand... I had this idea for a long time and I wanted to try it on this diorama. Moreover, it is not easy anyway to find a track that corresponds to the design of this era and environment... So it is the right time to build it manually
Here are the ties to start with (1/8"x1/8" balsa):
The rails will be soldered on top of small spikes and put directly into the trackbed. We will see if it works fine...
As opposed to what has been shown on the previous picture, I will not necessarily solder needles on rails before installing them. I may put them in the roadbed and then solder the rails on top. But anyway, you are right, I have to be careful with such needles
Yesterday night I played with a compound I tested few days ago: glue and sawdust put on the ground and then covered by coloured pigment... I didn't read any article about anyone using such material. So I decided to have it a try...
Results are very interesting and realism is really good from my point of view. I'll let you get an idea.
A global view of the left part covered with such compound...
You've rediscovered an old method of making gound cover, Patrick. Dyeing sawdust was the way to make grass and other covers before ground foam was used. Ground foam was so much easier that folks gave up making their own from sawdust.
President, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer of the New York Central, Alma & Jupiter Bay Subdivision, cleverly disguised as a mild mannered country boy.
I'm really happy to use this compound. It is fairly easy to manipulate and strong when dry, and lightweight also...
But what is interesting is the combination with pigment. It keeps the texture intact and it is not smooth as it could be with paint. So more realism... Soon I will try to put some plants and vegetation to see the final result hoping it is still realistic. Fingers crossed.