Fifer Hobby Supply LLC
4 N scale
zip Trainz
zip Screensaver Nscale
Ngineering
zip Railroad Tycoon 3
ashlintrains.com
N-Scale

N-Scale (http://www.nscale.org/forum/index.php)
-   Layout Central (http://www.nscale.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Yet another forest diorama (http://www.nscale.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33788)

patricka 02-24-2017 08:43 PM

Yet another forest diorama

Hello,

Yes, another forest diorama it is... During last trip to Springfield, I bought a shay in N scale. You probably know this model, it is an Atlas one... So I wanted to build some case around it, so the diorama...

I had this project in mind for a long time. It is the right support for building trees, playing with water, etc... Everything that makes it a pure scenery project! Well, with a small track ;)

Anyway, I started by building two modules, carving a bit of the terrain and designing a riverbed...

Here are the first results. I don't know if I will achieve this new project but I'm really motivated for now (I'm still waiting for some PCB and electronic pieces... So in the meantime, let's play with scenery...)

Left and right modules:

Then, a bit of riverbed designing:

And some details:

Some more on my blog...

Cheers,
Patrick
Enregistrer
Enregistrer
Enregistrer
Enregistrer

mr bachmann 02-25-2017 05:23 AM

looking great patricka , keep up the good work . :)

bill1952 02-25-2017 05:23 AM

Nice work. Looking forward to more results.

Country Joe 02-25-2017 06:39 AM

Excellent start, Patrick. I look forward to seeing this develop. :)

ike8120 02-26-2017 06:14 AM

Looks great so far

patricka 02-26-2017 08:07 PM

Thank you guys for your encouragements.

Tony35 02-27-2017 12:53 PM

Nice job!
Keep up the good work

patricka 03-01-2017 09:13 AM

Hi,

Yesterday night I poured the water into the riverbed. Bit stressful... Didn't want to scrap one week of work...

Anyway, here are the results of the first layer.

Cheers

patricka 03-01-2017 09:15 PM

And now, the second layer of epoxy:

Cheers
Enregistrer

Country Joe 03-02-2017 06:46 AM

It looks fabulous, Patrick!

patricka 03-02-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Joe (Post 462994)
It looks fabulous, Patrick!

Thanks a lot

patricka 03-03-2017 08:17 PM

Hello,

Tonight I decided to try to lay the tracks by hand... I had this idea for a long time and I wanted to try it on this diorama. Moreover, it is not easy anyway to find a track that corresponds to the design of this era and environment... So it is the right time to build it manually ;)

Here are the ties to start with (1/8"x1/8" balsa):

The rails will be soldered on top of small spikes and put directly into the trackbed. We will see if it works fine...

Cheers

Enregistrer

Country Joe 03-04-2017 07:38 AM

That's a very interesting idea, Patrick. I've never seen hand laid track done like that.

patricka 03-04-2017 10:03 AM

This idea comes from the fact that I didn't want to use pcb ties to solder the rails. I was afraid that it could be too visible. Also, gluing rails on wooden ties might not be strong enough.

I have made tests and it seems reliable. We'll see...

mr bachmann 03-06-2017 03:03 PM

just caught up with this thread , interesting idea , maybe lots of naughty words , drill's through fingers :eek:
hope it is a successes .

patricka 03-07-2017 12:09 PM

As opposed to what has been shown on the previous picture, I will not necessarily solder needles on rails before installing them. I may put them in the roadbed and then solder the rails on top. But anyway, you are right, I have to be careful with such needles ;)

patricka 03-07-2017 12:17 PM

More on development and testing...

Yesterday night I played with a compound I tested few days ago: glue and sawdust put on the ground and then covered by coloured pigment... I didn't read any article about anyone using such material. So I decided to have it a try...

Results are very interesting and realism is really good from my point of view. I'll let you get an idea.

Raw material:

Pigment:

A global view of the left part covered with such compound...

Cheers

mr bachmann 03-08-2017 02:08 AM

a good idea with the white glue (PVA) and sawdust - often used by carpenters/cabinet makers for repairs to holes in antique furniture .
I'm sure it will turn out OK .

Country Joe 03-08-2017 07:18 AM

You've rediscovered an old method of making gound cover, Patrick. Dyeing sawdust was the way to make grass and other covers before ground foam was used. Ground foam was so much easier that folks gave up making their own from sawdust.

patricka 03-08-2017 12:15 PM

I'm really happy to use this compound. It is fairly easy to manipulate and strong when dry, and lightweight also...

But what is interesting is the combination with pigment. It keeps the texture intact and it is not smooth as it could be with paint. So more realism... Soon I will try to put some plants and vegetation to see the final result hoping it is still realistic. Fingers crossed.